Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Girl Pants, Bums, and Aqualung.

Yesterday was the first weekday on my vacation and a pretty satisfying day at that. Aside from my nose draining into my throat, all was well in the world. I got a haircut and beard trim, so I no longer look like I escaped from a hobo camp. I stopped at the Great Escape, which is always a pleasant experience for me. I drove to Elizabeth's work at 1pm, picked her up for lunch, and drove to Q-Doba, which I've warmed up to. We sat in the window while we ate. A bum walked by, as bums are known to do. As he walked by the window, he looked directly at two emo/hipster type guys, both wearing girl pants, looked at us, made effeminate hand gestures, and laughed at both as they passed.

Allow me to reiterate. A homeless man, a deaf homeless man as it were, still finds it in his heart to clown two hipsters. It may have been one of the most satisfying things I've experienced in quite some time. I laughed out loud.

And this is why I love living in the Weirdo Part of town. I am blessed with oddity on a daily basis. One of my favorite accounts came about six months ago, at least as my recollection serves. Elizabeth and I were walking home from something. I don't recall what. We were near our house when we heard a flute in the distance. This kid was sitting on his porch, looking really sullen, and angst ridden, and playing a flute. I had this magnificent vision that he was on the porch after an argument with his parents. In my head, it went like this:

Mom: Blah, Blah... you're grounded.
Boy: I hate you mom!

Then he storms outside and plays Aqualung and thinks about running away. I love the Highlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment