Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Timothy Busfield Curse

School has won the fight between the leisurely and the scholarly. I turned thirty just a few months ago and I have to wonder if age become more profound the higher the number next to your name. By thirty, I consider myself a relatively responsible adult. I am about to complete my third full college term, again with a minimum of three A's and two B's, while working a full time job, while maintaining a band and some modicum of a social life. It's a wonder my liver hasn't deteriorated into a booze sponge, but even that I've managed to reduce.

That said, I've definitely developed some troubling routines, which again profoundly remind me of my age, and disposition. My typical Friday night routine is to pick up some beer on the way home and then to immediately consume that beer while watching television or playing a video game . Friday night is my night, goddammit. On Thanksgiving weekend, my wife and I received a bed frame from her parents. I can't exactly articulate how or why a bed frame improves your sleep, but it does. If it's an illusion entirely conjured from my subconscious, do not tell me otherwise, because I've been sleeping like a fucking champion. Last Friday, I decided to break out from the mold, drink an ample amount of water and have a balanced meal, all in the name of a good night of sleep. I planned on sleeping until the sun came into my room to personally punch me awake. And then I did it, with the good news being that I can take a punch .

Let me recap: My big Friday night adventure was trying to produce the most awesome sleep ever by breaking my tradition of alcohol abuse. Go thirty!

It's not though, that I want to think about this stuff all the time. I don't want to be Timothy Busfield . I don't want to think about or care about my age. It's not that I'm embarrassed though, I'm certainly content with my position in life. I have a beautiful wife and fantastic friends. I'm going to fix this job thing or I'm going to sell the ulcer I have excised to the Guinness Book of World Records and then I'm going on vacation. I'm going to sip mimosas and lounge in a hammock all day long. I'm going to jet ski and listen to Arab on Radar . I can't wait for my new life to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment